by Antony Worrall Thompson
from Saturday Kitchen
1 large free-range egg
1 large garlic clove, peeled and crushed
1 tbsp lime juice
2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
4-5 anchovy fillets, chopped
3 tbsp olive oil, plus a little extra for frying freshly ground black pepper
2 thick slices of white bread, crusts removed, cubed
1 cos lettuce, washed, dried, and torn into pieces
25g/1oz parmesan cheese, coarsely grated
1. Place the egg in a pan of cold water and bring to the boil. Boil for one minute and then plunge into cold water to stop the cooking process.
2. Once the egg is cool enough to handle, crack the egg into a food processor and add the garlic, lime juice, Worcestershire sauce, anchovies and oil. Process well and add pepper to taste.
3. Heat a little olive oil in a frying pan, then fry the bread cubes until crisp and golden-brown, then drain on kitchen paper.
4. Place the cos lettuce into a large bowl.
5. To serve, pour the dressing over the leaves and add the fried bread cubes and parmesan. Toss well and serve at once.